Zurich Climate & Temperature
- Zurich, Switzerland is at 47°22'N, 8°33'E, 558 m (1829 ft). See map.
- Zurich has a marine west coast climate that is mild with no dry season, warm summers. Heavy precipitation occurs during mild winters which are dominated by mid-latitude cyclones. Seasonality is moderate (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfb).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Zurich is situated in or near the cool temperate wet forest biome.
- The annual mean temperature is 8.5 degrees Celsius (47.3 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 18.2 °C (32.8°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype semicontinental.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 2.9°C (37.3°F) on average falling to -2°C (28.5°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 12.4°C (54.3°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 4°C (39.2°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 21.2°C (70.2°F) and average low temperatures are 11.8°C (53.2°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 12.5°C (54.4°F) during the day and lows of 5.8°C (42.4°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 1101 mm (43.3 inches) which is equivalent to 1101 Litres/m² (27 Gallons/ft²).
- On average there are 1693 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- If you were to burrow down through the Earth from Zurich you would come out nearest to the climate station at Te Wharau, Glenburn, New Zealand (Warm temperate thorn steppe biome).
Rio de Janeiro,
Climate of Zurich, Switzerland Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below:
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides: